2 people killed in shooting at Midtown recording studio


Two men were shot dead in a possible robbery attempt at a makeshift recording studio in Manhattan early Thursday, according to police and law enforcement sources.

Several people were hanging out at the studio on the third floor of the walk-up commercial building on West 37th Street near Ninth Avenue just after midnight when a separate group of four showed up and gunfire erupted – possibly be during an attempted robbery, cops and the sources said.

One of the victims, identified by police as Kamir King, 34, of Harlem, was discovered shot in the head on the third floor, police said.

He was reportedly targeted, police said.

Another man – who has not been identified – was discovered unresponsive and unresponsive in front of the nearby building, with a gunshot wound to his chest, cops said.

A gun was found under his body, police said.

Both men were rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

Scene of the multiple shooting at 354 West 37th Street.
William C. Lopez/NYPOST

Investigators are investigating whether the man found dead in the street – who was part of the group of four who entered the studio – had shot King earlier, the sources say.

He was the last member of the group to leave the building, the sources said.

“We don’t know what the connection is between these two individuals,” Aaron Klein, general manager of Detective Borough Manhattan South, said at a morning news conference. “Obviously they’re nearby, but it’s still early days.”

A large, unspecified sum of cash, along with marijuana, was found inside the studio, law enforcement sources said.

Scene of the multiple shooting at 354 West 37th Street.
Christopher Sadowski

0.9mm and 0.22 shell casings were recovered inside and outside the building, and investigators believe at least two firearms were fired, the sources said.

Police are also investigating whether the shooting is linked to another incident on May 7 of last year – in which shots were fired about two blocks away, Deputy Chief Salvatore told reporters. Comodo from Patrol Borough Manhattan South.

“So we’re not saying these two incidents are related,” Klein added. “We just acknowledge the fact that an incident happened about a year ago two blocks from the location.”

No arrests were made in the afternoon.


About Author

Comments are closed.